Adult Hypoaspis (Pronounced: HYPE-O-ASP-ISS) are soil-dwelling mites which grow up to 1mm in length, they are pale brown in colour. The younger, nymph stage is almost white.
Hypoaspis naturally inhabits the top layer of soil or compost. It is used for controlling Sciarid flies (also known as fungus gnats).
Hypoaspis Life Cycle
Egg to adult takes about 34 days at 15ºC (60ºF) and 9 days at 28ºC. Hypoaspis adults and larvae both feed on sciarid larvae, but prefer the younger stages.
They can live for several weeks without the presence of food, and therefore can be used as preventatively. Adults will remain active for 4 or 5 months with a ready food supply.
- They requires a minimum temperature of 10ºC (50ºF).
- They prefer moist conditions and temperatures between 15ºC and 30ºC.
- Hypoaspis should be used on the day of receipt.
- They can also be used to control mites on Reptiles and similar animals.
- Hypoaspis are harmless to children, pets and wildlife.